Team Leadership - Rogue Warrior Style
From Richard Marcinko's book on teamwork and success
- It's the mission, stupid - Be clear and precise in defining your goals & objectives
- Get the numbers straight - It's about time and money. Ask for what you want, but know what you really need.
- Cover all positions - Determine what skills your operations will need; do not leave any holes. Surround yourself with talent.
- Keep your hands off! - Trust your people to do their jobs. Micromanaging leads to screwups.
- Know your people - they are not machines. Know their strengths and weaknesses, and what goes on behind the scenes that might affect their performance.
- Welcome mistakes - Capitalize on opportunities to improve team performance.
- Shut up and listen - Encourage your team to contribute to problem solving. Support what they create. Clear communication requires two-way signal flow.
- Share the wealth - Reward your team when they do well.
- Eat the pain - Take on responsibility as a team leader. Loyalty is a two-way street.